Thursday, November 21, 2013

The power of affirmative sentences

I read a book a long time ago about neuro-linguistic programming.
It basically explained that you believe what you say to yourself. So if you say positive and encouraging things to yourself, you start believing them (of course there has to be some sort of truth behind it).
 This kind of relates to the law of attraction, that I much later heard on the movie The Secret.

So way back when I was studying to get into university, I wrote on a piece of paper "On XX date I am passing the admission test". I taped it on my cabinet next to my desk. I saw it every day while I studied for the test. I passed the test with flying colours.

Maybe I passed because I studied hard, or maybe because I programmed my brain to pass it. Either way, putting up a piece of paper doesn't hurt anybody and isn't that hard to do. Even if you don't believe in this sort of thing, you can put it up just for encouragement.

You can read more about this idea on the links I posted, but in a nutshell:
  • The sentence has to be in the present.
  • You have to already (at least partially) believe it to be true.
  • It can include a date or not.
  • You need to put it on a place where you will see it every day.
 
I've done that many times in my life, and it has helped me greatly. Today I re-wrote some sentences, and added others to my papers (right now I have one on my magnet board at my desk, and one on the TV stand).

I am currently recovering from a health-related problem.
At the beginning of the recovery (about 3 weeks ago), I wrote "I am getting better". And so far I have gotten much better. Several times I have looked at the paper and it has reminded that I am getting better (even if it feels like there's a long way to go). It has also encouraged me when I felt like the road to recovery was too rough.
Part of my health problem came because I worked too much and forgot to add fun in my life. So 2 other sentences I just put up are "I am taking care of myself" and "I am listening to my feelings".


What are your sentences? What do you need to believe in? What do you want to be doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment